Thursday, June 13, 2013

Coming Out of The Bubble

I've lost my daughter.
I've lost my father.
 
My world was a bubble when they died.
Who do you tell?
How do you say " Kimmy passed away?"
How do you say, "My father passed?"
The hugs the kisses.
Will you please let these friends know?
Shock and disbelief.
Sadness, acceptance.
 
I put myself in a shell, the bubble.
I don't want to know what is going on outside my little world.
Planning a service, writing the obituary.
What were the favorite foods?
Flowers? What kind of flowers?
Too many decisions have to be made.
 
What do I say? Will I be able to talk?
This needs to be a celebration.
There will be tears, there will be laughter.
Stories will be told.
 
Visitation.
Picking up ashes.
Friends and family gather
at weddings and funerals.
 
Then it's over.
I'm left with cards and flowers and way too much food.
I'm tired and just want to go to bed and sleep.
 
I nap.
The kitchen fairy is real!
The dishes are done. Chairs put away.
Cloths are off tables.
My turn.
Do laundry. Walk the dog.
Clean out old emails.
Eat more cake.
Feel like crap.
Just waiting for the 6 pm massage.
 
I could really do something constructive I say.
I say, get off your fanny and get to the gym.
It's just one step.
You will feel so much better.
You'll be proud of yourself for taking the first step...
out of the bubble.


No comments:

Post a Comment