Thursday, June 13, 2013

June 10, 2013 The Service

THE SERVICE
 
My dad told us in December that he had made arrangements to be buried at the Sacramento Valley National Cemetery in
Dixon, California.
He said they will take care of everything, at no cost.
The mortuary will make the arrangements.
I had no idea there was a National Cemetery in Dixon.
Arrangements were made, the date was set, June 10, 2013, 2:00p.m.

We were warned, do not be late. Your clock will start ticking at
2:00 sharp.
You have exactly 1/2 hour for the services.
The services will start with the processional to the ceremony site.
Taps will be played, the flag will be folded and presented to my mother.

Friends and family gathered.
Daddy's colleagues from Sac State, a poker buddy, his neighbors, our neighbors,
our friends and our dear family.
We looked back, out of the limo. we were stunned at the line of cars.
All these people are here for Daddy.
We cried.

The pallbearers, who to choose?
6 or 8 family or military?
In the middle of the night I could see it.
My nieces and brother-in-law on one side.
Todd and Emily on the other.
A space in the middle for the missing granddaughter.
Grandpa was with her now. It was OK.

The playing of taps, the silence of the flag folding,
the winds howling outside the pavilion.
The Navy officer, the enlistee.
Precisely folding the flag, staring at each other, not blinking while the flag
was adjusted.
It was perfect.
It was presented to my mother.
My sister spoke, thanked our friends and family for coming.
We had no idea so many would be there.
She said the prayer.
I spoke, My Pops is Tops.
Sons-in-law spoke.
He was thanked for his volunteer time at the Railroad Museum.
He fellow college professors reminisced.

Service was over. My mom said her goodbyes.
She was handed a dove.
The single dove flew in a circle.
It was joined by more doves.
They circled and flew away.

Goodbye Daddy.






No comments:

Post a Comment